Zhejiang University (ZJU) is one of China’s top higher education institutions, as well as one of its oldest. ZJU currently ranks among the top three in Mainland China, and within the top 100 globally according to the Times Higher Education World Reputation Rankings and QS World University Rankings. The College of Media and International Culture (CMIC) at Zhejiang University was established in 2006. Its Department of Journalism was founded in 1958 as one of the earliest journalism departments in China. The College offers both undergraduate and graduate programs in journalism, radio and television, strategic communication, and teaching Chinese as a second language. Its journalism and communication program has been ranked 4th in Mainland China by QS world rankings. Having established strategic partnerships with leading universities all over the world, the College is striving for building a world-class institution of media education.
Global communication is one of the strategic areas in the College of Media & International Culture at Zhejiang University. Many of the faculty members received their Ph.D. degrees from world-class universities in North America, Europe, Hong Kong SAR and elsewhere. They have a strong publication record on internationally recognized journals and enjoy a high reputation both in China and abroad. The Ph.D. program in Global Communication at ZJU aims to attract MA graduates with great academic potential from all over the world and to equip them with rigorous academic training. The core courses in this program are taught in English. Doctoral students are expected to work with our faculty members on cutting-edge research topics with theoretical and practical implications, and have the opportunity to study abroad in our overseas partner institutions for as long as one year. The duration of doctoral study is normally 4 years.
We invite students who are non-Chinese citizens with strong promise and commitment to apply for this Ph.D. Program in Global Communication. Students with an M.A., M.S. or M.Phil degree are eligible to apply for admission to this program. Successful applicants may receive generous studentships from the Chinese Government Scholarship or other sources. The College will also provide additional research and travel support for attending international conferences and conducting academic research.
The first 1.5 academic years: Taking courses
The spring semester, 2nd year: Mid-term Assessment / Qualification Exam
The summer semester, 2nd year: Thesis Proposal defense
The winter semester, 4th year: Pre-Oral Defense
The summer semester, 4th year: Oral Defense
The application deadline for the academic year 2019 is 31 March 2019. The application results will be announced in early May 2019. The registration date is early September, 2019.
1. Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens, under the age of 40.
2. Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree and an M.A., M.S. or M.Phil degree from accredited institutions.
3. Minimum 3.5 cumulative graduate GPA (4.0) scale on master’s degree course work.
4. English proficiency:
a) A degree received from an institution where the official language of teaching is exclusively English.
b) Otherwise, the applicants should satisfy the minimum English proficiency requirements: a minimum IELTS overall band score of 6.5, or a minimum TOEFL score of 90 (Internet-based Test).
How to Apply
Applicants MUST mail the following application materials (strictly bind in the following order) to the Admission Office of the International College of Zhejiang University. Please make sure all the application materials ARRIVE in mail by 31 March 2019. The application package should be labeled“Doctoral Degree Program Application Materials: Global Communication.”
Incomplete application materials or the application submitted by email will NOT be processed. Additional documents may be required when necessary. Application materials will NOT be returned regardless of the result of the application.
1. A completed application form with a recent photograph (white background, 35mm×45mm in size). Complete and submit your online application via the online application system (http://iczu.zju.edu.cn/english/— Admissions — Online Application), then print and sign the application form produced by the online application system.
2. A photocopy of passport.
3. Highest degree certificates, which must be original documents or notarized copies. If applicants are university students, they shall provide an official pre-graduation certificate showing their student status and stating expected graduation date. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized translations in Chinese or English.
4. Academic transcripts during Master’s and Bachelor’s degree study, which must be original documents or notarized copies. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized translations in Chinese or English.
5. A copy of your English proficiency test scores.
6. A personal statement outlining your goals for doctoral education.
7. A research proposal that includes a clear statement of the research, an overview of the literature, the methods, the expected contribution and a list of work cited. The proposal should be around 3 to 5 pages in single space.
8. Two letters of recommendation from faculty members who can evaluate your previous academic performance and provide an assessment of your likelihood of success in graduate school.
9. A writing sample of research. Professionally published samples are preferred but not required.
10. A resume or curriculum vitae including education, experience, awards, honors and publications.
11. Remittance receipt of the application fee (RMB 800 Yuan) (Bank account link).
12. Form for Provisional Acceptance of International Student by ZJU Professor is NOT required for submission. The admission committee of the program will make recommendation of acceptance to the Graduate School.
Applicants are encouraged to apply for scholarship. Please follow the steps here:http://iczu.zju.edu.cn/english/redir.php?catalog_id=22232
Research Areas of Faculty Members
Please visit the college website at http://www.cmic.zju.edu.cn/english/ for information about our faculty members.
Mailing Address for Application
Room 4500, International College Building, Yuquan Campus, Zhejiang University Hangzhou, China
Post Code: 310027
Tel: +86 571 87951456
Fax: +86 571 87951755
Inquiry about the Program
College of Media & International Culture
148 Tianmushan Rd., Hangzhou, China
Brochure: Ph.D. Program in Global Communication at Zhejiang University
Ph.D. Program in Global Communication at Zhejiang University.pdf